A good skincare practice can make all the difference in how you look and feel, not just today but well into your future. A good skincare routine isn’t just about wrinkles and fine lines. It’s also about taking steps to ensure that your body is healthy in both the short and long term. Our skincare tips will help you get glowing skin and better skin health.
It’s easy to think that skincare is optional, but paying attention to your skin can have serious effects on your health.
In fact, experts recommend taking time out each day for skincare because it can keep you looking healthy and vibrant—and make sure you feel better about yourself as well.
What Does That Mean in Practice?
Simple: Start with five minutes of washing, moisturizing, and protecting your skin at least once every 24 hours.
As an added bonus, when you take good care of your skin, it sends a message to others that suggests good things about who you are and how you live.
By following the 8 essential skincare tips below, you’ll be well on your way to having healthy and youthful-looking skin for life!
Cleansing your skin is just as important for your health as it is for your appearance. Taking care of your skin daily will have you looking and feeling better than you ever imagined possible.
When you think about it, you clean everything else on a daily basis—you brush your teeth, wash and style your hair, even floss to get rid of unwanted bacteria in-between teeth—so why not take care of your skin with cleansing?
We all know that no matter how many products we use on our face (moisturizers, creams, and so on), there’s no substitute for washing our face with plain water or facial cleanser on a regular basis.
Exfoliation is a very important part of your skincare routine. It is the process of scrubbing off dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. It can be done manually by using a brush, sponge, or loofah, or mechanically by using an exfoliator tool such as a facial brush, body brush, loofah, or scrub bar. There are two main ways to do it:
AHAs are organic acids that many people use to Exfoliate. Glycolic acid is one of the most popular AHAs and is highly effective. To exfoliate your skin using AHAs:
- Apply a moisturizer (moisturizer is the best choice) to your face.
- Then, apply the treatment that you get from the product that you used (i.e., Elta MD Advanced SkinCare).
After doing this, wipe off all of the excesses of the moisturizer and its products.
After that, take out the cleanser that you applied before (i.e., Elta MD Advanced Skin Care or any other similar product) and exfoliate your skin using it.
BHAs (butyl hydroxy acetate) are also called organic acids, although they do not have any natural organic components. They are often referred to as ‘natural’ because all the ingredients used in their preparation come from nature.
The most important thing you need is patience when using BHAs. You will see results in a few weeks if you use them consistently.
Precautions during Exfoliation
Make sure you take precautions to avoid sunburns during exfoliation. A chemical peel can cause sensitivity to sunlight, so it’s best to get one on a weekend day when you won’t be outside much. You should also always wear SPF 30+ during treatment—and don’t forget to reapply it every two hours.
- Always have someone else apply your face mask. This way, if something goes wrong, they can help you.
- Don’t Over-Exfoliate as it can permanently damage your skin.
- Be gentle while exfoliating as the skin on our face is sensitive, rubbing it hard will damage the skin.
- If you are using chemical exfoliation then don’t rinse your face right after. Keep it on the skin for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Never use a harsh scrub while pregnant.
Moisturizing your skin is essential for healthy and beautiful skin. But, it can be difficult to know how much moisture your skin needs because there are a lot of factors that contribute to how moisturized your skin is, including the climate in which you live.
If you want to moisturize your skin, there are a few things you should consider before applying any cream or lotion to it:
- Firstly, try to find out what type of climate you live in before applying anything to your face.
- Secondly, make sure that the cream or lotion has ingredients that are appropriate for the climate in which you live.
- Lastly, always apply sunscreen when outdoors so you don’t get burned and cause damage to your skin’s natural defenses against UV radiation.
To protect your skin in summer, read this guide on summer skincare tips for further information.
Sunscreen is one of the most important things you can use to protect your skin from the sun. It is also a crucial part of your skincare routine.
It helps protect the skin from UV rays and prevents the signs of aging. Sunscreen is important to have in your pocket or purse if you are going outdoors, playing sports, or hanging out at the pool.
When Should apply sunscreen?
1) Apply sunscreen before going out in the sun and reapply it every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
2) If you are planning to go out for long hours, apply an additional layer of sunscreen after 30 minutes. This will help your skin stay protected even if it starts to wear off from continuous exposure to the sun.
3) Apply a thin layer of sunscreen on your skin and avoid using thick layers that might cause irritation or make you feel greasy, sticky, or heavy on top of your skin.
4) Do not use a sunscreen product if you’ve been exposed to the sun for over one hour and/or if your skin is burned.
Note: There are many different types of sunscreen available on the market. However, they all have their own set of pros and cons. It is important to know what sunscreen you should use for your skin type, the activities you plan to do, and the SPF rating.
Drink plenty of water
Drinking plenty of water is important for the skin. It can help to flush out toxins and help to maintain a healthy, glowing complexion.
It’s also important to drink plenty of water if you’re exercising, as it helps to rehydrate the skin.
If you are suffering from dry skin or an oily complexion, it’s recommended that you consume more water than normal.
Serums are a very important addition to your skincare routine. It can be applied directly to your skin and help maintain the integrity of your skin.
Use them regularly and keep them hygienic by washing off the serum before and after exposure to sunlight, heat, or air pollution.
The best way to keep your skin looking healthy and glowing is to consume antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E. This will help your skin stay healthy, bright, and moisturized.
Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables with antioxidant nutrients. Your body stores these in the skin as antioxidants so you can use them when needed to make your skin look healthier.
Following are the foods loaded with antioxidants:
- Red grapes
When to visit a doctor or Dermatologist
Visit your doctor if you are using any skincare products that are causing allergic reactions like redness, dryness, and flakiness.
Before using any beauty products/skin products, it’s better to take advice from a dermatologist.