Are you craving something tasty and crispy? If yes, you should try Yukon chips. Made from Yukon Gold potatoes, Yukon chips are a popular type of potato chips that are super yummy and delicious. Whether kids or adults, everyone likes these potato chips to the fullest. However, before we dive deeper, let’s get to know about Yukon Gold potatoes in the first place.
An Overview of Yukon Gold Potatoes
The Yukon Gold potato is a common type of potato distinctly known for its smoothness, soft skin, and yellow-tinged flesh. These yellow-fleshed potatoes are wonderful all-purpose potatoes ideal for all types of cooking jobs like mashing, boiling, frying, roasting, and even sautéing.
Yukon Gold potatoes are very versatile and can help you make any dish scrumptious and mouthwatering. From salads to chips, and roasted potatoes, there are multiple dishes that you can prepare from Yukon Gold potatoes. For instance, Yukon chips are something people love to prepare using Yukon Gold potatoes. These potatoes provide a buttery flavor and taste, making them one of the best choices to prepare lip-smacking chips.
Recipe of Yukon Chips
As already mentioned, Yukon chips are a variety of potato chips made using Yukon Gold potatoes. You need not be an expert home cook or professional chef to master the recipe for Yukon chips, a popular snack food. All you need to do is gather a few ingredients, follow a few steps, and enjoy eating chips with your nears and dears.
You can make Yukon chips with just the four main ingredients listed below.
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Black pepper (optional)
- Fine sea salt or kosher salt
The recipe for Yukon chips is easy-peasy and involves just a few steps listed below.
- The first step of course is to deep wash and clean potatoes in cold running water
- Use a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer to finely cut the potatoes into chips
- Put the sliced chips into a bowl of ice-cold water to prevent them from turning brown and to remove extra starch
- Take vegetable oil in a large fry pan and heat it over a high to medium flame
- Add sliced chips into the hot oil and fry them slowly and evenly until they turn golden brown around the edges and start to hold a shape
- Take out the chips on a plate and season them with salt and pepper
Instead of the stove, you can even heat oil to 400 degrees Fahrenheit in a heavy Dutch oven. When the oil is hot enough, spread the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
Other Ways To Make Yukon Chips
Apart from the above, there are many ways to prepare and customize Yukon chips as per your taste and choice. Some of the other recipes you can try are listed below.
- Homemade salt & vinegar chips: This recipe requires five ingredients, including Yukon Gold potatoes, vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and malt vinegar. All you need to do is slice potatoes thinly into chips and fry them in oil until they are crispy and golden brown. After frying, add malt vinegar to give a tangy flavor to the chips.
- Baked potato chips: Are you a fitness enthusiast? Or looking for a healthy yet yummy food snack? If yes, then you must try baked potato chips. They are a healthier alternative to traditional deep-fried chips, as the potatoes are baked in the oven instead of deep-fried in oil. Slice the potatoes, dry them thoroughly, and then bake them in the oven until crispy. Add salt or pepper for flavor and taste.
- Yukon chips with herbs and salt: The process to prepare chips remains the same. Thinly slice the Yukon Gold potatoes and fry them until golden brown and crispy. Add a mixture of herbs like thyme, rosemary, and sage, and lastly add salt to infuse some extra flavor to normal chips.
There are many more recipes to make chips at home. Whether a movie date at home or an evening gathering with family, you can incorporate any of the recipes into your food menu.
What are you waiting for? Try them out and see which recipe you like the best.