Pest control services are very important to the hotel and hospitality industry. If the hotels, lodges, or restaurants fail to control pests on their premises it can cause them serious trouble. They may have to face serious legal consequences that may affect their operations.
What is the need for pest control in hotels and the hospitality industry?
Unhygienic conditions with pests may lead to fines, lawsuits, fall in food hygiene rating scores, etc. all of which can cause poor publicity affecting the business drastically. Guaranteeing a pest-free environment is a vital task for the hotel and hospitality industry. Pest infestation on the premises can hurt the organization’s reputation, employee relations, and financial performance.
Hotels and the hospitality industry are prone to a number of pest problems like rodents, flies, mosquitoes, bed bugs, and cockroaches’ infestation. The need for pest control in the hotel and hospitality industry is important for maintaining a good reputation and for providing a safe and hygienic environment to the staff and customers.
What are the types of pest problems a hotel may face?
Hotels and restaurants attract multiple pests to their premises. Below mentioned are some of the most common types of pest infestation encountered on hotel premises.
- Bed bugs: Hotels, lodges, and motels have many rooms and beds which they rent out to visitors. These beds are the perfect hiding places for bed bugs. Different people arriving from different locations use the rooms. It is very easy for a bed bug infestation to start in such conditions. Unlike a residential bed bug infestation, bed bug infestation in hotels can spread quickly to multiple rooms. It is very difficult to control it without seeking professional pest control services.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are attracted to places where food and water are stored or easily available. Hotel kitchens are the ideal place for cockroaches to make their home due to the abundance of food and water. Cockroaches are creepy and unhygienic, they are found in groups. They hide in dark corners and come out at night to feast on the leftover food. Hotels require a professional solution to get rid of the cockroaches’ infestation.
- Rodents: Rats and mice can cause a lot of problems to the business reputation with regards to hygiene. Rodents are not only unhygienic they also cause damage to the property by chewing through furniture and wiring. They can breed at an alarming rate and hence rodent infestation has to be controlled before the damage is done.
- Birds: Hotels like to have greenery and trees around them to make their property look attractive and pleasing. However, these trees can be house to a number of birds. Birds like pigeons may try to nest on the hotel roof and cause noise problems for guests. Birds can also cause damage to the building or make it look dirty. Bird droppings are unsanitary causing contamination to the property. Effective strategies are needed to help solve the existing bird problems and to help prevent birds from returning to the hotel premises.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes can cause itchy, painful bites to your guests and staff. They are carriers of several diseases like Malaria, Dengue, and Chikungunya, etc. Hotels need to invest in proven, professional mosquito control services that can help prevent mosquito infestation on the premises.
Importance of Pest control in Housekeeping
Pest control is more critical in the hospitality industry as compared to others. The hospitality industry is very competitive with many options available for customers to choose from. Building a solid reputation takes years and it is very important to safeguard it once it’s earned.
Pest infestation on the premises can have a disastrous effect on a small business that focuses on offering food and accommodation. Failed pest control can cause a lot of issues. Pest control is important for housekeeping in the hospitality industry as pests are a nuisance and can cause several problems.
- Property Destruction
Pests can cause a lot of damage to the hotel or restaurant property. Pests like rodents or mice can gnaw through furniture, product packaging, personal items, electrical wiring, clothes, etc. Bird droppings are acidic and can damage the paintwork or walls. Termite infestation can destroy the walls or furniture.
- Disease spreading
Pests like mosquitoes can cause diseases like Dengue, Malaria etc. Cockroaches can also cause fungal, bacterial, or viral infections. Pests can cause an outbreak of cough and cold to serious illness like influenza in the staff or customers.
- Disgusting Creatures
The sight of pests like cockroaches, ants, or rodents when one is relaxing for a weekend or eating a meal can be disgusting. Once customers view pests on the property they would be uncomfortable staying any further. This can have a strong impact on the hotel’s income.
The customers will pass on negative reviews to their friends and families or post them on social media platforms too. This can cause a disastrous effect on the business’s reputation.
What steps one should take to ensure their hospitality business doesn’t suffer because of pest infestation?
The best way to ensure effective pest control is by hiring professional pest control services to prevent and manage any pests’ issues. Roshan Pest Control offers residential and commercial pest control services in Mumbai.
If you are into the hospitality business providing food, drink, or accommodation services we can offer you regular and effective pest control solutions to keep all the pests at bay.